Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy New Year Handknit Socks

Handknit socks are a real luxury. They are super warm, fit well, and are infused with positive thoughts. These babies are my newest gift to myself for Christmas. I cast them on a week ago and am now running around the house with them on.




I have always used the following formula for socks:

Step 1: Figure 8 cast-on (learned at knitty.com), increase to desired number of stitches for circumference (these are 56 sts)

Step 2: Knit up foot until time to add the heel. Work short row heel. (Lots of ways to do this, but I learned this new method thanks to reading my friend Alex's blog)

Step 3: Knit up leg to desired length, rib for a few inches, then sewn bind off (found here on Knittinghelp.com called "Knit One Purl One Bind Off").

Step 4: Repeat for second (maybe take some notes while making the first)


Ta Da! Handknit socks. Sometimes I get adventurous and add a pattern to the top of the foot and the whole leg part, making sure that the pattern is divisible by 4 or 2, or some other multiple of the number of stitches I am using.

Oh, and those cute shoes you ask? $95 Borns at the flea market for $5. Score! And good for my poor little feet that have been shoved into tall shoes for the better part of the last decade. Ah, the short girl complex!

My Knitting New Years Resolutions are to finish what I start, make more socks, and get Penelope Craft a home.

Till Next Year!
xo
Malia

2 comments:

Molly said...

Man, I have to do socks next. I just finished a knit hat complete with both knit and purl (or however you spell that) stiches. Now I really have faith that I can knit socks, mittens, etc!

Molly said...

Oh, and those look super fly!

Happy New Year mama, I miss you.